NIB issues a 5 million dollar bond to FortisTCI

first_img Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, June 17, 2016 – A $5 million bond from the National Insurance Board will help to finance $70 million in capital works at FortisTCI for the next two years.  The major announcement came yesterday morning at the FortisTCI Provo Headquarters from CEO, Edinton Powell who was joined by Walter Gardiner, CEO of the NIB and other executives of both entities.Powell said the money, which will be paid back 100% with interest, will fund infrastructure investments and he called the move historic.  “And we are pleased to announce, that Fortis TCI, has reached an agreement with the board of directors, of the Turks and Caicos Islands National Insurance Board, for the issuance of a $5 Million dollar bond, which forms part of a recent finance initiative totaling to the 5 million dollars.  These funds will be used to partially finance the company’s capital expenditure through 2016 to 2018.”The rate of return is 5.14% per annum and culminates about four months of negotiations. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Google cuts off Huawei phones from future Android updates

first_img Now playing: Watch this: Mobile Security Phones Politics 30 4:59 Comments Share your voice What is going on between Huawei and the US? What would Huawei phones without Android be like? Andrew Hoyle/CNET Google has suspended business with Huawei that isn’t covered under open-source licensing, Reuters reported Sunday, following the Trump administration’s decision to effectively ban the Chinese company in the US.Huawei is losing Android operating system updates, a source close to the matter told Reuters, and Huawei’s upcoming phones outside China will no longer get access to apps and services like Gmail and Google Play. Google also will no longer offer technical support to Huawei, the source told Reuters.”We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications. For users of our services, Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices,” Google said in a statement emailed to CNET on Sunday night.Chipmakers Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom are also responding to the Trump administration’s ban, telling their employees they won’t supply Huawei until further notice, Bloomberg reported Sunday, citing anonymous sources. Germany’s Infineon ceased deliveries as well, according to Nikkei.”We are aware of the denial order issued by the US Department of Commerce with respect to Huawei, and we are cooperating,” a Xilinx spokesperson said via email, but didn’t offer more details.Last week, President Donald Trump signed an executive order that declares foreign adversary threats to communications networks, technology and services a national emergency. The order puts limits on foreign involvement in the nation’s carrier networks. In a parallel move, the Commerce Department added Huawei to its trade blacklist. Tags Google Huawei Donald Trump The core concern has been Huawei’s coziness with the Chinese government and fears that its equipment could be used to spy on other countries and companies. Huawei has repeatedly denied that its products pose a security threat. The mobile giant and telecom equipment maker will still have access to the version of Android that’s available via open-source licensing.  Huawei noted Monday in an emailed statement that the company has “made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world.””As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry,” the company said. “Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.”Huawei’s immediate reaction last week to the executive order was an assertion that it will hurt the rollout of 5G in the US, according to Reuters, but Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei acknowledged Saturday that his company’s growth  “may slow, but only slightly” following the US government’s action.Read: Samsung has most to gain from Google putting Huawei on iceCNET’s Sean Keane and Katie Collins contributed to this report.First published May 19 at 2:38 p.m. PT. Update, May 20 at 2:28 a.m. PT: Adds more reactions to the executive order.Update, May 20 at 4:45 a.m. PT: Adds statement from Huawei.last_img read more

Pakistan International Airlines air hostesses all set to go glamorous in new

first_imgPassengers on Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) will be in for a pleasant surprise from Aug. 14 when air hostesses (flight stewardesses) sporting a new look will welcome them. The new look is part of an initiative by the national carrier’s image makeover exercise.The new uniform, designed by Nomi Ansari, will be worn by the air hostesses on the carrier’s new service, PIA Premier, from Sunday, coinciding with the Islamic nation’s independence day celebrations. PIA was in news in February when its staff went on strike protesting against the proposed privatisation of the carrier, which was founded in October 1946.The uniform will be complemented by a scarf designed by Sania Maskatiya.The new uniform is the culmination of a process that began in the form of a fashion show last year during which 16 designers presented their creations for PIA’s flight crew uniforms. “There are three color-ways; mushroom-green, navy and maroon. Different hues are going to be worn by the lower ground staff, the cabin crew and the pursers,” the Dawn quoted Ansari as saying.”The shirt has a straight princess-cut and it’s paired with a tailored jacket that can be taken off. The straight pant that we showcased in the fashion show has been replaced by a narrow tailored shalwar. I have also devised the draping and pleating of the head-scarf so that it can be worn under the airhostess-cap, covering the head, and can also be wound round the neck,” he added. The three colours indicate the staff hierarchy at the PIA. The information was shared on Twitter by Ansari and PIA spokesperson Danyal Gilani.PIA goes glamorous: Absolutely loving the new look of PIA cabin crew by @nomiansari  pic.twitter.com/pEAH6ipXtI— NOMI ANSARI (@NOMIANSARI) August 10, 2016 #PIAPremier in 4 photos: New livery, Awesome IFE, Elegant Business class Better trained crew with new uniforms pic.twitter.com/tKJpzWeuLt— Danyal Gilani (@Danyal_Gilani) August 10, 2016It may be recalled that Indian national carrier Air India is also planning a new look for its approximately 4,000-strong cabin crew, with a distinct focus on khadi. The contemporary-cum-traditional look could see air hostesses wearing kurtis, churidars and trousers, besides the quintessential sari.last_img read more

Did Raj Tarun bribe eyewitness Karthik to delete videos of his accident

first_imgPR HandoutSince the last couple of days, news about Raj Tarun and his accident has been going viral. Media mistook Raj Tarun as Tarun and finally, Tarun gave a clarification that it is not he who met with the accident, but Raj Tarun. While Raj Tarun has accepted that it is he who met with the accident, looks like the case has taken new turns and twists.Going into the details, a guy called Karthik recorded a video of the accident. He saw Raj Tarun getting out of the car and running away from the spot of the accident to the main road. He recorded everything and followed the actor to the main road because he was running barefoot.Popular news channel TV9 telecasted a video which has been shot by Karthik in which he is seen asking Raj Tarun why he is running away after the accident and whether there was anyone with him in the car. Tarun replies, “Which car? I don’t know what you are talking about. I am just going to have a smoke and will be reaching my home soon.”New twist in actor #RajTarun accident casehttps://t.co/f4xEEw18C5— TV9 Telugu (@TV9Telugu) August 22, 2019 TwitterKarthik said, “Don’t lie to me because I have seen you coming out of the car and running. And does anyone go barefoot when they want to smoke?” Raj Tarun and Karthik reportedly also exchanged contact numbers.The twist in the case is, in a new audio clipping which emerged on Thursday, a man and woman are heard blackmailing Karthik and saying that they would kill him if he doesn’t delete the video and make sure it doesn’t reach the police.The woman in the audio clip has also reportedly promised to pay Rs 5 lakh to Karthik in case he agrees to delete the video.  YouTubeThe police spoke to the media on Thursday and have said that necessary action will be taken against Raj Tarun if it is proven that he has blackmailed Karthik.last_img read more

Cambodia building collapse kills 7

first_imgRescue workers remove a victim from the debris after an under-construction building collapsed in Sihanoukville on 22 June 2019. At least three people died when an under-construction building collapsed at a Cambodian beach resort early on 22 June, officials said, with fears an unknown number of others may still be buried in the rubble. Photo: AFPAt least seven people died Saturday when an under-construction building owned by a Chinese company collapsed at a Cambodian beach resort, officials said, as rescuers scoured the giant rubble heap for survivors.The building went down before sunrise in the casino-resort town Sihanoukville in southwestern Cambodia, a rapidly developing tourist hotspot awash with Chinese investments.Four people have been arrested in connection with the accident, including the Chinese building owner, the head of the construction firm and the contractor. A Cambodian landowner has also been held at provincial headquarter for questioning.The seven-storey building was almost 80 per cent complete when it crashed down early Saturday, the deadliest such accident in recent years in Cambodia.”Now the death toll from the building collapse is seven,” Sihanoukville city police chief Thul Phorsda said, after officials earlier pinned the number of dead at three.At least 21 people were reported injured — several critically — and at least three of the dead were Cambodian, including two workers and a translator.Rescue workers in hard hats pulled people from a mountain of concrete, wood and twisted metal.Medical workers attended to a shirtless injured man as concerned crowds built up around the site, while scores of soldiers and police joined the search for survivors.”Teams continue to search for more victims,” a provincial official statement said, adding that an investigation into the accident had been launched.There was no confirmation of precisely how many people were at the building at the time of the collapse, though earlier officials said 30 people were feared trapped.Around 50 workers would normally have been on the site at the time, Preah Sihanouk governor Yun Min said.The building belonged to a Chinese national who rented the land from a Cambodian owner. The construction firm and contractor were both Chinese-owned as well.Sihanoukville was once a sleepy fishing community before being claimed first by Western backpackers, and then wealthy Russians.Chinese investment has flooded in in recent years, spurring a construction boom in a resort town known for its casinos which pull in mainland tourists.There are around 50 Chinese-owned casinos and dozens of hotel complexes under construction.Between 2016 and 2018, $1 billion was invested by Chinese government and private businesses in the Preah Sihanouk province, according to official statistics.Cambodia, one of Southeast Asia’s poorest countries, has notoriously lax safety laws and labour protections. Accidents are common at its building sites.last_img read more

DC High School Student Films on Cyberbullying Compete in National Competition

first_imgStudents from School Without Walls and Woodrow Wilson High School in Washington, D.C., recently participated in the AT&T-sponsored Cyberbullying Film Invitational in New York City, part of the All American High School Film Festival. The entrants had to submit eight-minute films aimed at raising national awareness about cyberbullying, a hate crime that can take place on social media or through text messaging.“An astounding eight in 10 teenagers admit to being cyberbullied or know someone who has been bullied… And AT&T wants to help,” said AT&T’s New York State President Marissa Shorenstein in a statement. “This is a concentrated effort to help educate their peers and end this crisis.” The Tyler Clementi Foundation partnered with AT&T for the film competition. The Tyler Clementi Foundation was named for 18-year-old college student Tyler Clementi, who committed suicide after his roommate videotaped and broadcasted him online, by use of a hidden camera, when Tyler was engaged in an intimate moment with his male partner. “The Tyler Clementi Foundation, guided by the life and story of Tyler Clementi, works to end online and offline bullying in schools, workplaces and faith communities. We promote safe, inclusive and respectful social environments in homes, schools, campuses, churches and the digital world for vulnerable youth, LGBT youth and their allies,” Foundation spokesman Pail Hortenstine said in an e-mail. Over 250 high school student filmmakers from across the country participated in the competition. AT&T awarded over $25,000 to winners on Oct. 9. Winning teams included students from Steilacoom High School in Steilacoom, Wash., Mythic Bridge High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., and Canyon Crest Academy in San Diego, Calif. The teams received $5,000, $3,500 and $2,500, respectively. The films presented by the two D.C. schools did not win the immediate competition, but they still have a chance at winning the Public Choice Award. Starting on Oct. 11, the films will be open on hsfilmfest.com/voting for the public to vote on. Supporters have until Oct. 28 before voting closes, and the team with the most votes will win $5,000 for its school. Schools, parents and organizations can view the winning film through AT&T’s “Digital You”.last_img read more