Dubrovnik Gardens of the Sun is among the best family hotels in Europe

first_imgAfter the recent recognitions within the 2017 World Luxury Spa Awards, and winning the silver award for the best family hotel during the 2017 Junior Design Awards (Best Family Hotel, UK & Worldwide), Dubrovnik Gardens of the Sun were also nominated for this year’s Family Traveler Awards for the best family hotel in Europe (Best European Hotel for Families).Family Traveler is a luxury family magazine in the UK, as well as an indispensable multi-platform guide in planning and organizing family trips. As the only hotel from Croatia, Dubrovnik Gardens of the Sun is located in the prestigious company of the most luxurious family hotels in Europe. Nominations can be supported by voting until October 20, 2017 via link By the way, Dubrovnik Gardens of the Sun, a luxury five-star resort, is located on the coast in Orašac near Dubrovnik and is part of the prestigious group The Leading Hotels of the World. In addition to luxury accommodation in 201 rooms within the hotel and 207 residences, the resort offers an award-winning spa, sports center, 16 different bars and restaurants, a beach and three outdoor pools, and one of the best conference centers in the region.Related news:NEW AWARDS FOR DUBROVNIK GARDENS OF THE SUNDUBROVNIK GARDENS OF THE SUN JOINS THE LEADING HOTELS OF THE WORLD GROUPlast_img read more

AP4 says active management added SEK1.4bn in 2014

first_img“The contribution over the past six years totals almost SEK8bn, which can be viewed in the context of an annual cost of about SEK90m to conduct active management,” he said.Overall, AP4 said its management costs remained low, with the management cost ratio including commission expenses at 0.11% last year, the same as the year before.In absolute terms, management expenses had totalled SEK296m, up from SEK277m. The emphasis on performance, and outperformance, comes amid continued uncertainty about the future of the existing buffer funds, which the previous Swedish government agreed should be reduced in number from five to three. Net profit was SEK40bn in 2014, up from SEK37bn the year before, and fund capital rose to SEK295bn by the end of December from SEK260bn.Andersson said AP4 had increased its holdings in low-carbon investments in 2014, and added that the pension fund wanted to increase strategic investments with a horizon longer than three years.The buffer fund paid out a net SEK5.1bn last year into the national pension system, down from SEK6.9bn the year before, it said.To see how other pension funds have fared over the course of 2014, see IPE’s coverage of pension scheme returns Sweden’s AP4 praised its approach to active management for generating a benchmark outperformance worth SEK1.4bn (€147m) last year, while only costing the fund around SEK90m to implement. Presenting its 2014 annual report, the buffer fund said it made an annual total return of 15.7% after expenses, down slightly from 2013’s 16.4%, but nevertheless outperforming its fellow buffer funds. AP4 said active management meant it outperformed the benchmark index by 0.7 percentage points before expenses, compared to 0.5 percentage points the year before, giving a positive contribution to earnings of SEK1.4bn — up from SEK900m in 2013.Mats Andersson, the pension fund’s chief executive, said: “We are very pleased that AP4’s talented managers have outperformed the index for the twelfth consecutive half-year. last_img read more

Live: President Trump unveils new immigration plan

first_img“President Donald Trump introduces a new immigration proposal designed to move the United States from a family-based immigration system to what administration officials describe as one based on employment and skills,” CNBC reports.Trump is expected to begin speaking at 2:30 p.m. ET.last_img

Former Coach Charged with Child Abuse

first_imgBennell, who it was revealed on Monday had to be hospitalised when he was found unconscious in a hotel near London, will appear in court on December 14.The latest charges stem from Cheshire Police but six other police forces are investigating accusations made against Bennell in a scandal Football Association Chairman Greg Clarke has called “the greatest crisis” in English football he could recall.The FA has also launched its own internal review appointing leading lawyer Kate Gallafent, an expert in child protection, to head it up.The British Government announced yesterday they will bring the police and the FA together for a meeting on the developing scandal.Clarke took over as FA chairman in August and has already had to deal with the removal of Sam Allardyce as England coach over comments he made in a newspaper sting and the ‘poppygate’ row with FIFAHe told Sky News it was time to finally deal with the issues after they had been ignored.“It’s certainly the biggest (crisis) I can remember,” said Clarke.“I think the moral consequences of failing to deal with some of these issues in the past we must get to the bottom of.”Clarke doesn’t know if the FA at the time deliberately turned a blind eye to the goings on although a reporter who made a documentary about sex abuse in football for Channel Four in 1997 has claimed there is a FA report from 2005 detailing 250 victims and spread over a number of clubs.“I don’t know if there was a cover-up or not, I really don’t know,” said Clarke.“I suspect like many big problems, people aren’t drawn towards them. My methodology is, if there’s a problem, run towards it, embrace it, fix it, disclose everything that happened.“I think institutionally, all organisations in the old days used to protect themselves by keeping quiet and closing ranks.“That’s completely inappropriate and unacceptable today.”Clarke told the BBC the FA review would not seek to speak to alleged victims nor would he confer with his predecessors as chairman.“We’ve agreed with the police that we won’t talk to any of the victims formally, because they have to talk to them, they have to take statements and we’re not allowed to interfere in that process,” said Clarke, who added he thought criticism of the present FA was misplaced and they had acted speedily to look into the claims.Another of Bennell’s alleged victims came forward on Tuesday, former Wales Under-18 captain Matthew Monaghan, whose revelations in the Daily Mail were the first his 20-year-old son had heard of them.He said his dream move to Manchester United aged just 14 from Crewe never succeeded and left legendary manager Alex Ferguson perplexed and infuriated.Ferguson thought he was drinking too much because he had been led astray by some of the other players but Monaghan insists it was because of Bennell who began to abuse him when he was just 10 and he says raped him at least four times.“He has good weeks and bad weeks but he suffers every day,” says his girlfriend Denise.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former coach Barry Bennell, who is at the centre of a scandal rocking English football, was yesterday charged with eight counts of child abuse, prosecutors said.Bennell, who has already served three jail terms for previous child sex offences, has faced a slew of new allegations by at least 20 former footballers spanning three decades beginning in the 1970s when he was working for Crewe Alexandra, Manchester City and Stoke City.“Following a review of the evidence, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, Mr Bennell, 62, has today been charged with eight offences of sexual assault against a boy under the age of 14,” said a statement from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).last_img read more

Students should be wary of using Craigslist to sell items

first_imgCraigslist is a convenient way for students to sell their belongings, but sellers can never be certain they will be paid, a reality that has hit some Craigslist users at USC hard in the last few months.Dept. of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle said there have only been two known instances of USC students being deceived over Craigslist recently.“You have to be really careful who you meet and where you’re going to meet them,” Carlisle said.One student was robbed two months ago by a couple who posed as buyers on Craigslist, according to Carlisle. The student advertised his Playstation on Craigslist and agreed to meet a prospective buyer on Figueroa Street.Upon meeting the buyer, the student was directed to a nearby restaurant’s parking lot, where a car was waiting. The man inside the car asked to see the device, and once he had possession of the device, he and his girlfriend drove away, dragging along the student who was trying to regain his property.“It was obvious after that they had planned this to rip off the student,” Carlisle said. “Luckily the student wasn’t more seriously injured.”Another incident occurred about two weeks ago on 28th Street when a student had advertised an electronic device on Craigslist and agreed to meet the prospective buyer out on the street, according to Carlisle.Two suspects were waiting in a car on the street and when the student passed the device into the car, the car sped away. Again, the student was left hanging half-inside, half-outside the car while trying to recover the property.“Both suffered some minor scrapes, cuts and bruises,” Carlisle said.Carlisle said both incidents are being investigated by the LAPD.Carlisle advises students to take basic precautions before meeting with potential buyers.“If you’re going to agree to meet someone to show the property you’re going to sell … Then take a person along with you and meet in some highly public place where lots of other people are around so you’re less likely to be victimized,” Carlisle said.Some students have also had problems with false advertisers on Craigslist.Gaia von Meister, a junior majoring in English, said she once found a great deal on a beach cruiser on Craigslist that seemed almost too good to be true.Von Meister said she was in contact with the seller and the two agreed to meet in Downtown. She said she had some nervous feelings about meeting the seller, so she asked her boyfriend to go with her.“I had texted the guy an hour and a half before and we agreed that the meeting was still on,” von Meister said. “When we got there, we waited 20 minutes, I called the guy five times and he never answered.”Von Meister said she thinks the prospective seller, might have seen her waiting outside of the apartment building accompanied by another man, not alone.“Maybe they saw me pressing my phone and trying to call someone,” von Meister said. “If my boyfriend hadn’t have been there, I’m afraid something would have happened.”Carlisle emphasized the importance of listening to your intuition.“If in your gut something doesn’t seem right, stop, think a second time, and don’t do it. Quite often our intuition is correct,” Carlisle said. “It’s not worth getting hurt over a small electrical device that can be replaced, but a life or injury is not easy to deal with, so take reasonable precautions.”Von Meister said she knew something wasn’t right from the start and should have listened to her instincts.“It looked too good to be true,” von Meister said. “I shouldn’t have gone, but I was telling myself, ‘Why are you freaked out?’”last_img read more

Digital gains see GVC up 2019 earnings guidance

first_img Submit StumbleUpon Share Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 GVC hires ‘comms pro’ Tessa Curtis to re-energise media profile  August 25, 2020 Related Articles Share FTSE gambling group GVC Holdings Plc has this morning upgraded its full-year EBITDA guidance to £670-680 million from its previous £650-670 million range.Updating the market, GVC governance points to continued online growth maintained during a ‘softer’ Q3 trading period’, in which GVC delivered a 12% increase in net gaming revenues (NGR) despite competing against World Cup Russia 2018 comparatives.Group Chief Executive Kenneth Alexander said: “I am delighted that the Group’s financial performance has allowed us to upgrade our full-year EBITDA expectations again. Online momentum remains strong across all major territories, with NGR up 12% in the quarter despite the prior period containing part of the World Cup. This performance continues to be driven by our industry-leading technology, products, brands, marketing capability, and people.”At a retail level, GVC details that UK trends have performed better than anticipated, where it continued to adjust to the £2 machine wagering cuts by recording a like-for-like NGR decline of -18%.During Q3, GVC closed a further 41 UK shops, taking total shop closures to 198 for year trading. It expects to close a total of up to 900 shops across the next two years.Abroad, GVC governance is encouraged by the strong start of its US interactive joint-venture with MGM Resorts, which saw the launch of the BetMGM mobile app in New Jersey.“The launch in September of the BetMGM app in New Jersey, powered by the GVC technology platform, is a key milestone, and our US sports-betting joint venture with MGM Resorts remains very well-placed to capitalise on the US sports-betting opportunity ,” Alexander details in the trading statementThe FTSE betting group details to investors that it is closely monitoring German & Brazilian regulatory developments, as it asses new market options for 2020 and beyond.”last_img read more

Michigan State Police to hold drug take-back day

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, MICH — Studies show a majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends.Michigan State Police are asking Michiganders to help fix this problem. The agency is hoping to keep people safe by collecting unwanted, unused, and expired drugs for National Prescription Drug Take–Back day.Drug take–back day is this Saturday, April 27. You can drop off unwanted drugs at any of Michigan’s 30 state police posts. All collected pills will be destroyed and disposed of without question.Police say proper disposal of drugs can help save lives and protect the environment. Anyone unable to participate in the take–back can anonymously drop of their prescription drugs at any state police post Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Drugs, msp, Police, prescription, take-back, takebackContinue ReadingPrevious Paramedic and Community Risk Reduction Officer Andy Marceau offers tips for Heatstroke Prevention Awareness DayNext Oscoda woman 1,000th patient to receive heart treatment with aid of 3D printing technologylast_img read more

English Premier League signs US TV deal with NBC

first_imgThe English Premier League and US broadcaster NBC on Monday said they had signed a new, three-year rights deal, capitalizing on the growing popularity of the world’s most popular football league in the United States.The agreement, reportedly worth some $250 million, will see the broadcast of 380 matches from the 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons, according to a joint statement published on premierleague.com and nbcsports.com.Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said the broadcaster would help showcase the best of English football across the United States via its network of channels across the country, including in Spanish.NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said the league was “on the cusp of exponential popularity growth” in the United States and promised “the broadest programming and promotional commitment” the sport has seen across the Atlantic Ocean.“This is a perfect match,” he added.The NBC Sports Group is one of the world’s largest broadcasters but was criticised recently for broadcasting many Olympic events from London, including the opening ceremony, on a time-delay to secure more prime-time viewers and advertising revenue.English Premier League matches are currently broadcast in the United States on Fox and ESPN.last_img read more

Olympia Symphony Brings Live Music Back to the Community

first_imgFacebook162Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Olympia Symphony OrchestraThe Olympia Symphony Orchestra is bringing live small group musical performances by local musicians back to our community, in their newly-developed “Big Music in Small Groups” program. The return of live music has been eagerly awaited by musicians and the community since the widespread shutdown of live concerts and public gatherings in March.The program launched on June 20, with a surprise performance of “Happy Birthday” and Handel’s Passacaile at Toyota of Olympia, for Toyota employee Lindsey Lampman. Lindsey, a 2017 graduate of River Ridge High School and former student apprentice violist with the OSO, received a surprise performance from an ensemble which included her former viola teacher, Lisa Dyvig, as a gift from her parents. Following this performance, the OSO musicians traveled to a private residence, performing Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance for a curbside commencement honoring a recent college graduate. Ensembles are comprised of OSO musicians, who are eager and excited to be performing together again.“Big Music in Small Groups provides connection and engagement between our musicians and community. Having a way to celebrate those big and little moments of life — graduations, birthdays, 4th of July, or just because — in a unique and personal way fills a critical niche in the midst of current social restrictions,” says Olympia Symphony Administrative Assistant Renée Zimmerman. “People have been so excited and grateful for these live local music deliveries — it brings a smile to your face to be a part of it!”Music “deliveries” will continue through July 4, with a musical menu that includes patriotic favorites such as Stars & Stripes Forever, the Armed Forces Medley, and the Star-Spangled Banner. After July 4, the OSO invites the public to request customized repertoire for private or neighborhood events. Prior to Thurston County’s advancement to Phase 3, gatherings were limited to no more than five non-household members. With Thurston County’s transition into Phase 3, gatherings may now include larger numbers of attendees, provided social distancing and face-covering requirements are met.The OSO plans to continue this program with outdoor performances throughout the summer. As part of their ongoing mission as a 501c3 nonprofit arts organization, they will also offer free performances to underserved and underrepresented populations in Olympia, with generous funding provided by a grant from the City of Olympia.To make a delivery reservation, please visit www.olympiasymphony.org.last_img read more